The White Roof Project has a simple mission: Paint black roofs white. Here's what that tiny effort gets you, according to the organization (click the picture for a more extensive infographic):
- A 24 billion metric ton reduction in CO2 emissions, if every roof is painted white by 2030. That's a year's worth of CO2.
- $5 billion in energy cost savings for the United States.
- 14 power plants' worth of energy savings in 11 large cities.
- Reduction in smog, blackout risk, and heat-related deaths.
- The approval of Bill Clinton, who wrote last week that "Every black roof in New York should be white; every roof in Chicago should be white; every roof in Little Rock should be white. Every flat tar-surface roof anywhere!"
You can volunteer to help paint, or adopt a roof, at their website. They don't say anything about donating your efforts by writing them a theme song to the tune of "Paint It Black," but surely that would be appreciated as well.
Get Grist in your inbox