Sickening amounts of green algae, fed by nitrous waste from French farms, have been growing on the Brittany coast, where French and British people go for vacation. When the algae decomposes, it gives off hydrogen sulphide, a poisonous gas. Two years ago, a man died from inhaling the gas. The next victim: a horse. This year more than 30 wild boars have died mysteriously on the beach, and the evil algae is the prime suspect.
French people, who prefer to do their own air pollution via cigarettes and cheese, are getting upset about this, although the French government is so far not upset enough to regulate the farm waste that's driving the problem. Maybe wild boars aren’t cute enough to spur bureaucrats to action. If adorable puppies with berets on were dying in droves, this problem might have been fixed already.
Get Grist in your inbox