Rep. Richard Pombo (R-CA), chairman of the House Resources Committee, has officially established beyond any doubt that he is no Teddy Roosevelt Republican. Today, draft legislation from his committee proposed selling off a number of national park holdings, including Theodore Roosevelt Island, home of the TR memorial in Washington, D.C.
As reported by Greenwire, the other sites include:
- Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument, Texas
- Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve, Alaska
- Bering Land Bridge National Preserve, Alaska
- Cape Krusenstern National Monument, Alaska
- Eugene O’Neill National Historic Site, California
- Fort Bowie National Historic Site, Arizona
- Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site, Massachusetts
- Kobuk Valley National Park, Alaska
- Lake Clark National Park, Alaska
- Mary McLeod Bethune Council House, Washington, D.C.
- Minute Man Missile National Historic Site, South Dakota
- Noatak National Preserve, Alaska
- Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Monument, Pennsylvania
- Thomas Stone National Historic Site, Maryland
- Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve, Alaska
Pombo also proposes selling advertising space just about anywhere in National Parks to help generate revenue.
Get Grist in your inbox