A beekeeper near Vancouver has reported the loss of 8,000 pounds of honey and 500,000 bees from one of his apiaries. Why would someone steal half a million bees? And how? Urban beekeeping is pretty hip right now so it’s the “how” we’re really stuck on.
Here are our best theories:
- Filled beekeeper suits with bees instead of people, then walked out with them Weekend at Bernie’s-style. (Bonus: You can use the HOV lane.)
- Pied Pipered them out by playing Blind Melon’s “No Rain.”
- Walked in wearing 500,000 bonnets.
- Built entire working van out of bees, then drove it to L.A.
- Half a million fly costumes.
- Told them it was Support Chick-fil-A Day (bees are notorious bigots).
- Painted them white, tied them in a cluster, and told people it was a cloud.
- Flowers, stick, string, REALLY REALLY BIG BOX.
It’s also possible that the bees weren’t the object of the theft at all, and the farmer just had the lack of foresight to set up a security system based on dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you.
Beekeeper robbed of 500,000 bees, tons of honey, 24H.
Get Grist in your inbox