• approximate number of species that go extinct per hour
• percent by which electricity demand is rising annually in China and South Asia
• percentage of the energy used in U.S. manufacturing that goes toward food processing and packaging
• percent reduction in the average household’s water pollution if it converts from buying conventional produce and grains to buying organic
• factor by which global water consumption rose between 1900 and 1995
• the world population, in billions, as of October 12, 1999
1 — Natural Resources Defense Council
2 — World Resources Institute
3 — U.S. Energy Information Administration
4 — Earth Communications Office
5 — World Resources Institute
6 — U.N.
Donate now to support our work.