• factor by which an average resident of an industrialized nation consumes more fresh water than an average resident of a developing nation
• factor by which sulfur dioxide emissions are expected to increase in Asia by 2010
• number of hours a television can be powered with the energy saved from a recycled aluminum can
• number of plant species that provide one-half of the world’s food supply (namely, rice, corn, and wheat)
• cubic yards of landfill space saved by one ton of recycled paper
• number of months worth of thrown-away aluminum that could be recycled to replace the entire U.S. commercial airfleet
• factor by which the ozone hole now exceeds the size of the continental U.S.
1 — Earth Communications Office
2 — World Resources Institute
3 — 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth
4 — National Wildlife Federation
5 — 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth
6 — Environmental Defense Fund
7 — Sherwood Rowland
Donate now to support our work.