- 5 percent of the world’s human population resides in the U.S.
- 30 percent of the world’s resources are used by the U.S.
- 8 motor vehicles are on the roads in China for every 1,000 Chinese citizens
- 750 motor vehicles are on the roads in the U.S. for every 1,000 U.S. citizens
- 15 kilograms of paper are consumed annually by each person in the developing world
- 333 kilograms of paper are consumed annually by each person in the U.S.
- 20 percent of the world’s population lives in industrialized nations
- 75 percent of the world’s pollutants and waste are produced by industrialized nations
- 8 billion dollars are spent each year on cosmetics in the U.S.
- 9 billion dollars would be needed each year (in addition to current expenditures) to provide water and sanitation for all people in developing nations
1, 2 — Earth Communications Office
3-7 — World Resources Institute
8 — Earth Communications Office
9, 10 — Worldwatch Institute