Jobs at Grist
Director of Development
Feel like saving the world today? Or at least giving it your all alongside a group of passionate, funny, doughnut-obsessed co-workers? Grist, the nation’s leading environmental news platform, seeks a Director of Development to oversee and expand the fundraising operations of our nonprofit organization. Grist is growing by leaps and bounds, with a monthly audience of 2 million and exciting new projects underway — now all we need is you.
As a member of Grist’s senior management team, the Director of Development will work closely with the President and other staff members to shape and implement organizational strategies and to achieve contributed income goals. You will manage a team of four people responsible for raising funds from institutional sources, major donors, and members. This is a Seattle-based position with travel required. We also like boundless enthusiasm, but not on Tuesdays.
- Design and manage Grist’s overall fundraising strategy, plan, and budget.
- Expand our fundraising operations, creating new programs to solicit funding from high-level major donors, corporations, and other identified targets.
- In concert with President, manage a portfolio of top prospects and donors.
- Provide direction and supervision for our fundraising team, which includes a Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager; Membership and Annual Support Manager; Major Gifts and Events Manager; and Administrative Assistant.
- Ensure the timely, accurate creation and production of fundraising materials including grant proposals, donor appeals, annual report, correspondence, and collateral.
- Oversee the planning and execution of key activities such as donor events, online appeals, and membership drives.
- Serve as a member of Grist’s senior management team, contributing to the development and implementation of the organization’s operating and strategic plans.
- Serve as a key liaison to Grist’s board, preparing agendas and materials for meetings; staffing the board fundraising committee; and assisting with special board projects.
- Oversee use of Salesforce database system, including improvements to it over time.
- Supervise the timely and accurate processing of gifts and acknowledgements and reporting on fundraising results.
- Perform other tasks, as appropriate, to achieve Grist’s fundraising goals.
- Travel and flexible work schedule required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or CFRE certification preferred.
- 7+ years solid fundraising experience, with proven success in the areas of institutional and individual giving.
- Demonstrated ability to build, expand, and manage a development program responsible for at least $3.5 million annually.
- Strong management experience (both up and down within an organization).
- Experience managing and motivating boards and volunteers for fundraising initiatives.
- Truly outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Experience with fundraising databases (Salesforce preferred) and strong comfort with presentation software like PowerPoint.
- Strong financial skills, including the ability to develop and review budgets and to develop management reports that present a clear financial picture of fundraising activities.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues.
- A sense of humor never hurts!
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by October 31, 2013, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 2,000,000 and growing. We reach the next generation by cutting through the noise to connect big issues like climate change to daily life, and by spotlighting the people and ideas leading us to a more sustainable future. (Also by
posting videos of baby animals.) Founded in 1999, Grist has been featured by media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, NBC’s Today show, and Time, and has won many prestigious awards for its pioneering media work.
Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager
If you think saving the planet is a good reason to get out of bed in the morning, if you thrill to the satisfaction of wooing donors and meeting deadlines, if the initials you doodled on your junior high notebook were “RFP” — we want to meet you. Grist, the nation’s leading green news site, uses irreverent journalism to inform and activate broad audiences. We are seeking a Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager to help sustain and increase the organization’s institutional support, including prospecting, proposal writing, and stewardship for both current and potential foundation and corporate supporters. It’s an exciting time of growth at Grist, and you will play a key role on our fundraising team, working in coordination with the Development Director, President, and Board of Directors to create strategies that allow our organization to grow and thrive in the years to come.
- Work with Development Director and other staff to design and implement plans to increase Grist’s base of foundation and corporate support
- Conduct preliminary funder research and evaluate foundation and corporate prospects
- Partner with the Development Director to develop strategies to engage, solicit, and steward these prospects
- Participate in face-to-face meetings with funders across the country and manage relationships with foundation staff
- Produce inspiring, well-written communication for funders at all stages of the cultivation process, including communications with staff, letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports
- Collect and synthesize information about Grist’s programs as needed to make the case for support and report on organizational progress
- Provide support to the President, Development Director, and Board of Directors for inperson meetings with funders
- Support efforts to raise Grist’s profile in the funder community, including funder briefings and other speaking engagements
- Manage organized and efficient operational systems to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee all foundation and corporate database records
This is a full-time role based in our Seattle office, however applicants based in New York or San Francisco will also be considered. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience with fundraising and/or grantwriting
- Exceptional writing and editing ability
- Strong project-management skills
- Ability to work well with external audiences and staff across the organization
- Strong research and database skills (experience with Salesforce is a plus)
- Sound and accurate judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to work and problem-solve independently
- Travel required
- A sense of humor never hurts!
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 1,500,000 and growing. We reach the next generation by cutting through the noise to connect big issues like climate change to daily life, and by spotlighting the people and ideas leading us to a more sustainable future. (Also by posting videos of baby animals.) Founded in 1999, Grist has been featured by media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, NBC’s Today show, and Time, and has won many prestigious awards for its pioneering media work.