Jobs at Grist
Are you a talented, news-obsessed writer looking for an opportunity to show off your chops, crack wise, and work at a news shop that’s making a difference? Breaking news thrills you, but you don’t think aggregation is a dirty word? If so, then we have the job for you. Grist, the acclaimed green site, is looking for an East Coast news reporter/blogger. This person will write multiple posts a day, covering breaking news and digging in deeper as time allows. This is a contract position with the possibility of regular full-time employment down the line.
- At least three years of online writing experience
- An irrepressible interest in news in general as well as in the topics we cover: climate, energy, sustainability, cities, food
- A strong understanding of national politics and policymaking
- An active presence on various social media channels
- An ability to monitor social media and other news feeds to keep on top of what’s trending, what’s about to break, and what will resonate with our audience
- An ability to tell a story in a variety of ways: text, images, videos, tweets, etc.
- A willingness to pursue a story offline, the old-fashioned way
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities
- Comfort working independently and also as part of a team
- A clean, clear writing style
- An ability to make complex, wonky topics understandable and interesting to a general audience
- A serious commitment to accuracy
- A strong voice, an irreverent sensibility, and a wicked sense of humor
This is a telecommuting position. The news reporter/blogger will work in her/his own space and on her/his own computer, from any East Coast location.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and links to writing samples to email@example.com with “News Reporter/Blogger” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 2,000,000 and growing. We reach the next generation by cutting through the noise to connect big issues like climate change to daily life, and by spotlighting the people and ideas leading us to a more sustainable future. (Also by posting the occasional funny animal video.) Founded in 1999, Grist has been featured by media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time, and NBC’s Today show, and has won many awards for its pioneering media work.