Grist seeks an innovative digital media leader for the role of President. You will run the operations of the nation’s leading environmental news platform, working closely with the Board and Founder/CEO to make Grist a more influential, nimble, and creative organization. At Grist, we are passionate about our work and our mission. We believe thought-provoking journalism, new technologies and forms of communication, and the occasional hearty guffaw are critical tools in the climate fight—and we need a strong leader who can help take our nonprofit organization to the next level.
A pioneer in the nonprofit news space, Grist uses emerging tools and techniques to tell the climate and sustainability story—which we happen to believe is the top story of our lifetime—in fresh, engaging ways. Reporting to Grist’s Board of Directors, the President will work closely with our founder/CEO and leadership team to ensure that Grist achieves our ambitious goals while thriving as an organization. You will oversee our whole show, encompassing editorial, technology, design, business development, fundraising, finance, and administration teams. The ideal candidate for this position is a strategic professional with a passion for and deep experience running an organization or business unit and delivering on strategy; a history of increasingly responsible positions in consumer-focused online media; and a track record of thought leadership, team-building, and revenue expansion. You must possess exceptionally strong leadership and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrated excellence in problem solving, priority setting, planning, tactical execution, and analysis. We’d also be excited if you were passionate about the future of digital media, about mission-based work, and about building a more sustainable future.
- Provide thought leadership and operational oversight that supports Grist’s mission
- Set priorities, develop plans with the team, and establish and monitor benchmarks to gauge progress
- Recruit and retain a talented, mission-driven team; supervise all senior staff
- Partner with the Founder/CEO to evaluate opportunities and develop plans accordingly
- Cultivate a strong relationship with the board and represent Grist to key stakeholders
- Foster a culture of creativity, collaboration, experimentation, and excellence, building and retaining a team that responds swiftly to changing technologies and takes advantage of emerging digital trends
- Expand and deepen Grist’s existing products with the goal of increasing audience, deepening engagement, and creating new sources of revenue
- Oversee comprehensive marketing and branding work across Grist to increase reach and influence
- Manage efforts to expand and diversify revenue streams, both contributed and earned; e.g., play a key role in fundraising efforts, including identifying and meeting with major-donor and foundation prospects, and drive efforts to increase sponsorship and advertising dollars
- Assume full P&L responsibilities, including developing long- and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls.
- Experience running an organization and delivering on strategy
- Experience building and leading a senior management team
- Substantive leadership experience in a new media or technology company
- Demonstrated success in motivating team members to fulfill and exceed personal and organizational goals in an environment that rewards sharing, collaboration, and experimentation
- Experience leading an organization through rapid change and transformation
- Proven history of identifying strategic opportunities, building strong internal and external relationships, and delivering on initiatives, projects, and products
- Experience overseeing financial operations for a high-growth business
- Experience expanding and engaging external audiences, especially through social media
- Ability to interpret media-related trends, transfer knowledge to a leadership team, and tack organizational plans as appropriate
- Experience working in a non-profit and/or a mission driven organization ideally focused on the environment and sustainability
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “President Search” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that demonstrates your qualifications and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
The Video Intern will play a dynamic role in the Editorial team at Grist, a national climate and sustainability news site, by helping to expand our video efforts. S/he will work with the video producer and senior editorial staff to conceptualize, shoot, and edit videos and motion graphics for Grist’s site and social networks. Additionally, s/he will be responsible for some general support of the video team, maintaining aspects of social accounts, and researching best practices.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Execute video projects as assigned by the video producer
- Assist video team with all aspects of production
- Research as needed for production, social channels, partnerships, and tools
- Maintain Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Instagram accounts in coordination with social team
- Experiment with other forms of video / multimedia
- Provide support at Grist events, in-office visits, conference coverage, fundraising projects, etc., as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency in filming, editing, and related tools (Final Cut Pro, Premiere, etc.)
- Intermediate to advanced visual design skills and fluency with associated tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Basic reporting, interviewing, and news writing skills
- Well-developed organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to multitask and thrive under deadlines
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Interest in environmental issues
Ant it would sure be nice if you also had
- Fluency in animating graphics / text (After Effects, Motion, etc.)
- Familiarity with YouTube, Vine, Instagram, and other social channels
- A quick wit
This internship is designed to meet the requirements for academic credit and includes a transit pass. Grist offers a dynamic and engaging editorial environment and the opportunity to be part of a unique online publication with a mission.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and link to examples of your work (or demo reel) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Video/Editorial Intern” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that demonstrates your qualifications. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Senior Editor, News
Grist is an online news site that uses smarts and humor to shine a light on the big green issues changing our world. Now in its 16th year, Grist is poised to take its unique brand of journalism to a new level of growth and impact. This is a rare opportunity to be part of a fast-growing organization that combines the energy, creativity, and initiative of a young internet company with the spirit of a nonprofit. If you want to advance journalism on the web and change the world while you do it, you’ve found the place.
The Sr. Editor, News plays a crucial role in Grist’s Editorial team. S/he will manage a small, hilarious, nimble team in creating Grist’s daily news product — on Grist.org, on social media, and on other platforms as needed. We’re seeking a news junkie who’s obsessed with being ahead of the cycle and making Grist an always-entertaining, go-to source when stories break in our coverage areas. If The Daily Show had a breaking news site, what would it be like? We want you to find out. Reporting to the Executive Editor, the Sr. Editor, News is a member of the Sr. Editorial Board and will also play a big part in both high-level editorial strategy and long-term planning. Preference given to candidates on the East Coast or willing to work East Coast hours.
Specific Duties and Assignments:
- Responsible for Grist’s news content and coverage
- Manage and edit junior staff
- Plan long-term and enterprise coverage
- Reporting and writing assignments
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of news editing experience, preferably online
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities and deadlines
- Experience and comfort with technology, social media, and digital tools for journalism
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, communications, English, or related fields
- Facility with desktop writing tools and web technologies for news gathering and publishing
- Superior organizational skills and obsessive attention to details
- Irreverent and strong sense of humor
- Excellent analytical and process improvement skills
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate good personal judgment, and exercise a commitment to ethical conduct toward sources, story subjects, and readers
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills. Demonstrated poise, tact, diplomacy, and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
And it sure would be nice if:
- You have an irrepressible interest in news in general as well as in the topics we cover (climate and energy, sustainability, food, environmental justice)
- You’re excited about steering coverage and exploring innovative ways to use new media to tell stories in a fast-moving environment, specifically for mobile devices
- You possess a strong voice and have no qualms about using it
- You know how to identify stories that are resonating online
- You know how to pursue a story online and offline, in social and traditional media
- Breaking news thrills you, but you don’t think aggregation is a dirty word
Grist offers a dynamic and engaging editorial environment and the opportunity to be part of a unique online publication with a mission. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com with “Senior Editor, News” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that demonstrates your qualifications and writing style. Please submit materials by August 27, 2015. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 2,000,000 and growing. We reach the next generation by cutting through the noise to connect big issues like climate change to daily life, and by spotlighting the people and ideas leading us to a more sustainable future. (Also by posting videos of baby animals.) Founded in 1999, Grist has been featured by media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, NBC’s Today show, and Time, and has won many prestigious awards for its pioneering media work. Learn more.