Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager
Grist, the nation’s leading green news site, is seeking a Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager to help sustain and increase our institutional support. You will be responsible for building relationships with current and potential foundation and corporate supporters, including prospecting, cultivating, proposal and report writing, and ongoing stewardship. Playing a key role on our small-but-feisty fundraising team, you will work in coordination with the Development Director, President, CEO, and Board of Directors to create strategies that allow our organization, which uses irreverent storytelling to engage next-generation audiences, to grow and thrive. You must be an exceptional writer (as a media organization, we’re extra picky), a creative thinker, and a fearless fundraiser who can open even the most fiercely guarded doors. Some travel is required; an understanding of green issues, journalism, and the environmental funding landscape would be helpful; and a sense of humor never hurts.
- Work with Development Director and other staff to design and implement plans to increase Grist’s base of foundation and corporate support
- Conduct preliminary funder research and evaluate foundation and corporate prospects
- Partner with the Development Director to develop strategies to engage, solicit, and steward these prospects
- Participate in face-to-face meetings with funders across the country and manage relationships with foundation staff
- Write compelling communications for funders at all stages of the cultivation process, including correspondence with staff, letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports
- Collect and synthesize information about Grist’s programs from other departments as needed to make the case for support and report on organizational progress
- Provide support to the Development Director, President, CEO, and Board of Directors for in-person meetings with current and potential funders
- Support efforts to raise Grist’s profile in the funder community, including funder briefings and other speaking engagements
- Manage organized and efficient operational systems to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee all foundation and corporate database records
This is a full-time role based in our Seattle office, however applicants based in New York or the San Francisco Bay Area will also be considered. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of experience with fundraising and/or grantwriting
- Exceptional writing and editing ability
- Strong project-management skills
- Ability to work well with external audiences and staff across the organization
- Strong research and database skills (experience with Salesforce is a plus)
- Sound and accurate judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to work and problem-solve independently
- Ability to travel
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (ideally not a boring grant proposal – we’ll get to that later) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager” in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 2,000,000 and growing. We reach the next generation by cutting through the noise to connect big issues like climate change to daily life, and by spotlighting the people and ideas leading us to a more sustainable future. (Also by posting videos of baby animals.) Founded in 1999, Grist has been featured by media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, NBC’s Today show, and Time, and has won many prestigious awards for its pioneering media work. Learn more.