Here’s an object lesson in how messed up America’s food culture is. A few years back, Chad Ettmueller went to Atlanta’s Which Wich sandwich shop and ordered the Double Wicked, which the Atlanta Journal-Constitution describes as “a glorious pile of double portion of beef, bacon, turkey, ham pepperoni, three cheeses and a wad of fixing on a whole wheat bun.”
He opened up his mouth wide to take a bite.
And he dislocated his jaw a whole inch on both sides. It was stuck for 14 hours.
That was back in 2010. This month, he was brave enough to appear on video for USA TODAY at the exact same sandwich shop … eating a sandwich. It’s a heartwarming story of triumph over trauma.
He’s much more careful now, he says, taking only “small bites of much smaller sandwiches.” He also tells USA TODAY that “when I yawn I have to put my fist under my jaw to prevent it from dislocating again.”
Ettmueller’s pretty laissez-faire about the whole thing — you can watch him describe the ordeal here — but we’re just going to come out and say it: A sandwich should not permanently injure the person eating it.