Temporary contract position, April to June 2021
About Fix, Grist’s Solution Lab
Grist is a nonprofit environmental media organization whose mission is to make the story of a better future so irresistible you want it right now. While other media outlets focus on doom and gloom, Grist’s award-winning reporting and innovative storytelling focus on charting a path toward a just, sustainable future.
In 2019, Grist launched a new program, Fix, to change the arc of storytelling about climate change. As Grist’s solutions lab, Fix tells imaginative stories that envision promising ways forward. Half network-building and half storytelling, the program identifies, celebrates, and connects solutions-oriented climate and justice leaders who are at the center of the story of progress — and in doing so, it introduces a whole new narrative of what’s possible to address climate change and build a better world.
Grist is seeking two (2) temporary Story Reviewers for Fix’s new climate-fiction contest, Imagine 2200: Climate fiction for future ancestors. Story Reviewers will play a critical role in reviewing, summarizing, and scoring the short story submissions. Story Reviewers will work closely with the contest’s managing editor to prepare final submissions for Imagine 2200’s board of judges. Review of submissions will take place approximately between April 12-June 12th.
Imagine 2200, in its inaugural year, is calling for 3,000- to 5,000-word stories that envision the next 180 years of equitable climate progress. The winners will receive cash prizes and be published in a digital collection on Fix’s website.
- Reviewing, scoring, and summarizing a maximum of 320 short story submissions.
- Working in Google Sheets, Submittable, and Google Drive to log progress.
- Working closely with the Imagine 2200 managing editor, other reviewers, and the rest of the Imagine team to prepare submissions for the final judging board.
- Availability to work 30 – 40 hours per week between April 12th-June 12th.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or Communications, or equivalent professional work experience.
- Expertise in writing and editing fictional content, with a focus on speculative literature and short fiction.
- A strong grounding in cli-fi or sci-fi, Afrofuturism, and other futurist literary genres.
- An intersectional, equity-driven, justice-centered approach to creative work.
- A core knowledge of climate and environmental issues and movements.
- An ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences.
- An ability to work independently and think creatively, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Fluency with technology, including experience with Gmail and other G-Suite tools, and Zoom.
- Prior experience judging or working on writing contests and using the Submittable platform is a plus.
- A passion for Grist’s and Fix’s mission and work.
Compensation and application
- Compensation will be by an hourly rate.
- To apply, please email email@example.com with your resume and a cover letter by March 8, 2021. No phone calls, please.
Grist’s commitment to a diverse, inclusive staff reflects our vision of a just, sustainable world. We do our best work when we embrace differences and thrive when we explore them. Grist provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.