Are you a curious, self-motivated, hard-working individual who wants to grow as a multimedia journalist and storyteller? The Grist video fellowship may be the opportunity for you.
The video fellow will work alongside Grist’s award-worthy video team to produce explainer videos, short docs, and one-off shorts. You will be expected to produce 1-2 video projects a month and assist the video team with weekly production, including but not limited to research, interviews, filming, animation, and appearing on-screen. We will encourage your full participation in staff discussions and meetings, seek your input on issues large and small, and suggest the occasional one-block stroll to the picturesque Seattle waterfront.
The video fellow works out of Grist’s Seattle office, full-time. Fellow must make a six-month commitment. The fellowship pays $2,750 per month. In special cases, the fellowship will be renewable once by mutual agreement between the fellow and Grist. Renewal candidates will be considered alongside the applicant pool for the next fellowship cycle.
We are looking for early-career producers, reporters, and personalities. Candidates are most likely college or j-school grads, with experience in video and journalism. Our primary subject areas are the climate, clean energy, sustainable food, livable cities, environmental justice, and a carbon-free economy. (If justice is your thing, check out the justice fellowship, too.)
Applicants must submit the following in one PDF attachment:
- Resume and cover letter. We are looking for a succinct, thoughtful cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style.
- Show us your work. A demo reel or a few videos that demonstrate your ability to tell a visual story. We will gladly accept links to your work, but cannot review original files.
- Pitch an explainer. What’s the first video you would produce? Pitch an idea for an explainer video that has an environmental angle. Pitch should be a brief paragraph.
- Pitch a short documentary. What aspect of the environmental/sustainability story are you passionate about covering? How would you explore that passion in the form of a 5-15 minute mini-documentary for Grist? Please specify how you would produce the documentary, including target sources, length and format, potential angle, visual approach, etc. The pitch should be no longer than 300 words.
- Link us to your site. We want to see what other projects you’ve worked on. If you draw, we want to see your prints. If you are super into claymation, that’s cool too. If you have some background in audio storytelling, we’d love to check that out. Show us what else you can do.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Please include “Video Fellow” in the subject line. Please include all materials in one PDF attachment. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For fellowships that begin September 2018, please submit applications by July 9, 2018.
No phone calls, please and thank you.
Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.