Climate & Energy
Dave Morris summary on problems with carbon trading
Dave Morris: “Problems with Carbon Trading.”
An outline of his argument:
- Buying offsets encourages complacency.
- Carbon trading is inherently susceptible to fraud and manipulation.
- Carbon trading encourages cheating and rewards low-cost cosmetic changes while undermining higher cost innovation.
- Carbon trading separates authority and responsibility, undermining coherent, holistic, community-based efforts.
- We have alternatives — carbon taxes, and caps without trading.