5 reasons the Supreme Court’s Obamacare ruling matters for the environment
The Supreme Court has ruled 6-3 to uphold one of the major pillars of Obamacare. This is a good thing for the environment. Here are five reasons.
- Any time the court affirms the power of government to improve citizens’ lives it is a good thing for the environment. The government is going to have to do an awful lot if we’re ever going to get a handle on the climate problem.
- Obamacare includes measures promoting environmental health and environmental justice, and could make it easier to track environmental health issues.
- The Affordable Care Act has significantly improved access to birth control. Empowering women to take control of when they have babies is a precondition to population leveling off.
- This decision was a victory for the poor and a triumph against inequality. Poverty and inequality are the biggest threats to life on Earth and a future that doesn’t suck.
- Yes, the Supreme Court upheld a major pillar of Obamacare, but above all it upheld common sense. Could we hope against hope? Could common sense actually become … the national standard?