‘Drowning in Oil’ contest rules
‘Drowning in Oil’ Reader Contest
Official Sweepstakes Rules and Regulations
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. The McGraw-Hill book “Drowning in Oil” contest commences at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time on December 6, 2010 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 26, 2010. Sweepstakes is sponsored by Grist Magazine, Inc. a Massachusetts not for profit corporation with its principle place of business at 710 Second Avenue, Suite 860, Seattle, WA 98104, and prizes are provided by McGraw-Hill, Inc., a New York corporation, with its principle place of business at 1221 Ave. of the Americas New York, NY 10020-1095.
(1) Eligibility: Sweepstakes is offered and open only to all natural persons, age 18 and older as of the date of entry, who are legal residents of their respective countries. Employees, independent contractors, officers, and directors of Grist or McGraw-Hill, or their respective affiliates and/or subsidiaries, as well as their advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies and legal advisors, and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household of such persons, are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. Void where prohibited.
(2) How to Enter: On-line: Access Grist’s website at Grist.org, complete and submit your entry in the comments section of the contest page. Facebook: Access Grist’s Facebook profile page and submit your entry in the comments section following the contest announcement. All online and Facebook entries must by manually keystroked and manually entered by the individual entrant. Entries generated by a script, macro or other automated means will be disqualified. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced entries accepted. You may submit one (1) entry per person, household and e-mail address per drawing period. The name of the person submitting the email address upon a Sweepstakes entry must be (a) the name of the person who registered on Grist’s website for such email address, and (b) the name of the authorized account holder of such email address, otherwise, the entry may be deemed void. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted a particular on-line entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized and registered account holder of the e-mail account as of the time of the entry, and the potential prizewinner may be required to provide identification sufficient to show that he/she is the authorized account holder of such email address. Neither Grist nor McGraw-Hill is responsible for late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, or postage-due entries, and proof of emailing does not constitute proof of delivery or entry. Incomplete, illegible or corrupted entries are void and will not be accepted. To be eligible, on-line entries must be received by December 26, 2010. All entries become Grist property and will not be acknowledged or returned. Free Internet access and e-mail accounts for on-line entry may be obtained from a variety of sources, including web sites such as http://www.hotmail.com, http://www.aol.com, http://www.google.com and http://www.yahoo.com. Neither Grist nor McGraw-Hill has any affiliation or relationship with any of these organizations, and makes no representation or warranty of any kind with respect to the services offered by these organizations. NO FEE OR PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN AND PRODUCT PURCHASES WILL NOT IMPROVE THE ODDS OF WINNING.
(3) Prize: The drawing winner will receive Drowning in Oil: BP & the Reckless Pursuit of Profit (approximate retail value $20. Limit one prize per person. No alternative prize, cash equivalent, or other substitution is permitted except by McGraw-Hill in the event of prize unavailability. McGraw-Hill reserves the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion. Prizes are nontransferable. All federal, state and/or local taxes, and other expenses associated with the acceptance and use of any prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. THE PRIZE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, AND EACH OF GRIST AND McGraw-Hill DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WITH RESPECT THERETO, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
(4) Winners: Winners will be determined by a random drawing from all eligible on-line entries received, to be conducted by Grist at its offices within a week of the end of the contest. Winner will be notified by e-mail, or by telephone if winner does not have an e-mail address within seven (7) days after the drawing date. If winner submitted entry on Facebook, then Grist will notify the winner by Facebook message within seven (7) days after the drawing date. All decisions by Grist and/or McGraw-Hill in regard to this Sweepstakes are final and binding in all respects. Odds of winning depend on total number of entries received. In order to claim prize, winner may be required to complete an affidavit or declaration of eligibility and/or liability and publicity release which must be signed and returned so that it is received within seven (7) days of date printed on notification or alternate winner will be selected at random. If selected winner is ineligible in any way, has not complied with the Official Rules, cannot be contacted, or if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, the entry will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected at random. If selected winner is not of the age of majority in winner’s state of residence, prize may be awarded to winner’s parent or legal guardian. Neither Grist nor McGraw-Hill sha
ll be responsible for or liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners. Accepting and/or using prizes constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use winner’s name, voice, hometown and/or likeness for promotional purposes without further compensation. Neither Grist nor McGraw-Hill will replace a lost or stolen prize.
(5) Conduct: By entering this Sweepstakes on-line, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Official Rules will be posted at the Sweepstakes page on the Grist web site throughout the Sweepstakes. Decisions of the judges are final and binding in all respects. Grist reserves the right at its discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the website; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, GRIST AND MCGRAW-HILL EACH RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH CONTESTANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
(6) General Terms and Conditions: By participating on-line, entrants agree that Grist, McGraw-Hill, McGraw-Hill’s shareholders, and Grist’s and McGraw-Hill’s respective agents and representatives, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors are not responsible or liable for, and shall be released and held harmless from: (i) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, any technical, computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties, or human error, of any kind; (ii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Grist and McGraw-Hill that may cause the Sweepstakes to be disrupted or corrupted, including theft, destruction or alteration of entries or website tampering; (iii) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Sweepstakes; (iv) any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Sweepstakes, acceptance, possession, or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, misrepresentation, defamation, or invasion of privacy. Grist reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the Sweepstakes at any time if a computer virus, bug, or other technical or procedural problem impairs or corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes.
(7) Winners List and Official Rules: To obtain a copy of these Official Rules or Sweepstakes results, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to 710 Second Ave Seattle, WA 98104. Requests must be received by January 31, 2011. Vermont residents may omit return postage. Copies of Official Rules may also be printed from Grist’s web site at https://grist.org/2010-12-03-books-contest-rules/