Senator Bingaman is with the majority of Americans in wanting more renewable energy. Accordingly, he has authored legislation that would require utilities to increase renewables in their portfolio to 15 percent by 2020.
Senator Domenici is with the craven few who don’t want this to happen. Accordingly, he has authored an amendment to redefine qualifying renewables to include nukes and coal. So tricky! But we are on to him.
The vote on Domenici’s amendment will take place this afternoon. Calls to the following swinging senators by 2 p.m. EDT today could make all the difference.
Minn. – Coleman – 202.224.5641
N.H. – Gregg – 202.224.3324
Ark. – Pryor – 202.224.2353
Ark. – Lincoln – 202.224.4843
Kan. – Brownback – 202.224.6521
Ind. – Bayh – 202.224.5623
Ore. – Smith – 202.224.3753
Mo. – McCaskill – 202.224.6154
W.Va. – Rockefeller- 202.224.6472
If you live in or know anyone in these states, consider calling ASAP.
- Hi, my name is XXXX and I’m calling from [city, state].
- I’m calling to ask Senator XXXX to oppose Senator Domenici’s amendment to the national renewable portfolio standard bill.
- The amendment would weaken the deployment of truly clean and renewable electricity sources like wind, solar, biomass, and geothermal.
- The renewable standard is intended to promote our development of clean, new energy sources, not give more subsidies to the coal and nuclear industries.
- The bill provides a way to save consumers like me money on their utility bills by increasing the competition from renewable energy sources and reducing the demand for natural gas
- Thank you.
Action courtesy of UCS