For no particular reason and in no particular order (save maybe the top two), I give you my sentimental favorites of 2007:
- Band of Horses: Cease to Begin (FMB)
- Josh Ritter: The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter (FMB)
- Okkervil River: The Stage Names (FMB)
- Wilco: Sky Blue Sky (FMB)
- Cloud Cult: The Meaning of 8 (FMB)
- Amy Winehouse: Back to Black (FMB)
- Rilo Kiley: Under the Blacklight (FMB)
- Ryan Adams: Easy Tiger (FMB)
- Gonzales: Solo Piano (FMB)
- Coconut Records: s/t (FMB)
I always find these lists somewhat misleading. If I made a list of songs I loved this year, it would be much more diverse in terms of genres and sounds. That’s where all the hip-hop and electronic stuff would be hiding. But when it comes to full albums to which I devote repeated listens, despite my protests, and despite my best efforts, as I get older I tend to take fewer musical chances. I stick to the stuff I know I love: comfortable, melodic, song-focused.
You kids get off my lawn!