Five Gore steps to carbon-free electricity and electrified transportation
On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to comment about Al Gore’s next step on Earthbeat Radio, a syndicated, weekly, hour-long environmental program, and speaking with me was long-time anti-nuclear, environmental, and political activist Harvey Wasserman, author of “Solartopia! Our Green Powered Earth.” The show is co-hosted by Daphne Wysham, global environmental activist from the Institute for Policy Studies. Our segment [mp3] is a little more than halfway through.
Our conversation got me to thinking about what a set of five “Gore” steps might look like. Gore has put forth the first and second steps, so now we can pitch in and propose a few more. Here are mine:
- The global warming crisis should be our top priority.
- Our electricity must be carbon-free by 2018.
- Our transportation system must be electrified by 2023.
- Doing Nos. 2 and 3 will rebuild our manufacturing base, which will rebuild the middle and working class, and lift millions out of poverty.
- A trillion dollar budget should be put in place for the next 20 years for government-led construction, investment, and finance in order to achieve Nos. 2, 3, and 4.
Anybody else have ideas for 3, 4, and 5?