Take a fun quiz on energy
Friends at West Virginia University have just compiled a 20 question energy quiz that provides some rather interesting “a ha” moments. (There is no coherence to the abbreviated list of questions below other than the fact that I find the answers interesting and/or counterintuitive.)
See how you do:
- If all of the CO2 produced in U.S. power plants were captured and compressed to a liquid for sequestration the volume would be approximately equal to ___ percent of total U.S. oil consumption by volume (100 percent = 20 million barrels per day)?
- Approximately how much water is used or diverted if you burn a 60-watt incandescent light bulb 12 hours a day for one year?
- During the 105th Congress (1997-1998) seven climate change bills, resolutions, and amendments were proposed. How many were proposed in the 110th Congress (2007 – 2008)?
- From 1996 to 2005, the total installed GW of coal, nuclear, and natural gas in the U.S. changed by ___ percent, ___ percent, and ___ percent respectively.
- Where is the largest wind farm in the eastern U.S.?
- Total energy imported into the U.S. changed by ___ percent in the first half of 2008 as compared to the first half of 2007.
Answers below the fold (don’t peek until you’ve answered!).
- 167 percent
- 5,000 gallons
- 0 percent, 0 percent, 100 percent
- Grant County, W.Va.
- -5 percent