Here at Grist, we’re usually more into words than pictures, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like to scroll through other peoples’ photos while we’re waiting for the bus or sitting on the (low-flush) toilet. And what’s the best place for pics on the go? Instagram, of course. It’s not just for selfies and dogs pics — it’s also for selfies and dog pics in stunning locations that you’ll never see in person because you’re strapped to a desk all day. Sure, you may spend 40 hours a week entering numbers in spreadsheets but at least you can see what the surf looked like in Bali today. Thanks, Instagram!
Here are our favorite accounts for the things we care most about: food, fun, and the motherfucking planet Earth.
1. Cool Foods Campaign features food that’s good for the body and the planet.
2. Blogger and photographer Adam Goldberg eats around the world.
3. Edible SF will make you hungry.
4. Young farmers, urban farms, and the occasional horse’s ass.
5. Ever wondered what Alice Waters eats for breakfast? Now you know.
6. Foster Huntington splits his time between a van and this treehouse. It’s OK to be jealous.
7. Not into jumping from airplanes? Live vicariously through Roberta Mancino.
8. Melissa Arnot is 31 years old and has summited Everest five times. You took the elevator to work today, didn’t you? Thought so.
9. Surfer Jamie O’Brien. Sick life, brah.
10. Heifer International: The place to go for cute kids. (Get it?? KIDS. Sorry.)
11. Anthony Bourdain has left the kitchen.
12. Official feed for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. SPOILER ALERT: The ocean is CRAZY.
13. National Geographic photographer Ami Vitale’s images from around the world can be disturbing … which is exactly why you should be following her.
14. And last (and possibly least): US! Follow along with Grist staffers as we go about the serious business of bringing you the best and worst of environmental news.