Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I meant to link to this U.S. PIRG report: "Rising to the Challenge: Six Steps to Cut Global Warming Pollution in the United States." So I’m doing it now.
The six steps are:
- Stabilize vehicle travel.
- Increase vehicle fuel economy standards to 40 miles per gallon and set fuel economy standards for large trucks.
- Replace 10 percent of vehicle fuel with biofuels or other clean alternatives.
- Reduce energy consumption in homes, business and industry by 10 percent from current levels.
- Obtain 20 percent of our electricity from new renewable energy sources.
- Hold emissions from other sources to current levels.
According to the report, "Taking these six steps would reduce U.S. carbon dioxide emissions by about 23 percent and global warming emissions by about 19 percent by 2020."
Check out the full report (PDF) for details.