ttstamDo not drink.

Living on Planet Earth these days, one inevitably consumes chemicals that one might not normally think to ingest. Eating fruit means eating pesticides. Walking down a city street means breathing in little bits of tire and other air pollution. You go out with your friends and a few hours later downing that greenish, glowing shot seems like the Right Thing To Do.

But that does not mean that it is a good idea to ingest liquid nitrogen. “Duh,” you say? Tell that to a British teen who just had to have her stomach removed.

The BBC reports:

Grist thanks its sponsors. Become one.

A teenager has had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen …

The 18-year-old is reported to have become breathless and developed severe stomach pain before being taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

Officers say she would have died if doctors had not performed the operation.

After drinking the cocktail, she ended up with a pierced stomach. Because liquid nitrogen kills your flesh. Also, the BBC says, “As the frozen vapor hits the stomach it rapidly warms, releasing large volumes of air which can burst the stomach.”

Grist thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Before you get all “who would do that?” about this poor girl, Judge Judgy McJudgeface, consider that she did not consume this beverage at some dirty frat party where drinking anything means risking your personal safety. She bought it at a bar — “Oscar’s wine bar,” according to the BBC. Doesn’t sound like the classiest joint (what do we really know about this “Oscar” guy, anyway?), but she was celebrating her 18th birthday, which is legal drinking age in the U.K. Nobody goes to a super-classy bar for that.

Next time, try the organic apple martini, at least?

Reader support helps sustain our work. Donate today to keep our climate news free. All donations DOUBLED!