Keystone XL backers try to get OWS on their side
Climate leaders like Bill McKibben have visited Occupy Wall Street and put out the message that the movement should oppose the Keystone XL pipeline. But proponents of Keystone XL are also trying to use OWS to press their case. David Dayen caught this bit of politicking on a website called Jobs for the 99%:
Hollywood’s elite 1% should stop flying to DC and speaking out against jobs that help the other 99% of America!
But you CAN make your voice heard.
Tell the White House to support Keystone XL.
Right … Hollywood.
The group behind the website is the Building Trades Union, a group affiliated with the AFL-CIO. There's a story out there that Keystone XL is a fight that pits jobs and the environment against each other. But the real problem here is that there aren't enough big, ambitious projects (public transit! giant wind farms! infrastructure!) for workers to get behind.
Actual Co-Opting of the 99% Movement, for the Tar Sands Pipeline, FireDogLake.
Donate now to support our work.