Celebrate Earth Week in Seattle
Sure, every day should be Earth Day … blah, blah, blah. But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take advantage of the many earth-centric events happening around your community this week. In Seattle, Earth Week(s) offers green-art activities for kids, get-your-hands-in-the-dirt volunteer projects for all ages, and even a special Carrotmob meet-up at Pike Pub.
Check out the event listings below or click on the map to get details. Heard of another great Earth Week event? Add it to the list via comments.
- Green Apple Festival: Get to the core of the climate-change issue by contributing to solutions via tree-planting efforts, energy efficiency retrofits, forest restoration, and more. Volunteer projects are available throughout the Seattle area Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Thank You concert: Watch the Blue Scholars show off their green streak during an exclusive performance Sunday evening for Green Apple volunteers.
- Earth Day at the Arboretum: Dig deep to help remove invasive species, lay down mulch, and otherwise beautify the Arboretum. High-school students from the Student Conservation Association will lead projects from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Tools, gloves, and materials will be provided, but you should bring a water bottle, sack lunch, snacks, travel mug for a hot drink, sunscreen, rain gear, long pants, layers of clothing, and boots.
- Duwamish Alive!: Bring new life to the Duwamish River during the annual Duwamish Alive! celebration. More than 1,000 volunteers are needed from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. to help pull weeds, mulch planting areas, plant native vegetation, and pick up debris and trash in restoration areas all along the river. They’ll provide tools and gear; REI will provide snacks and drinks; you should dress for the weather and wear sturdy shoes.
- Earth Day Festival: Celebrate your hard work Saturday afternoon at the 2nd Annual Earth Day Festival featuring performing artists, kiddie crafts, nature hikes, raffles, and environmental education tables from 2-5 p.m. at Cooper Elementary School and Pigeon Point Park in West Seattle.
- Climate Day for Kids: Get your kids finger-painting and climate-footprint measuring from noon-3 p.m. at the Olympic Sculpture Park. Performances include puppet shows, storytelling, and science demos.
- Carrotmob at Pike Pub: Raise a glass to sustainability during this all-day Carrotmob event at the Pike Pub & Brewery on Earth Day. Use your green to do green by buying lunch, happy-hour drinks, dinner, or all of the above — 25 percent of all sales will go back into into the store in the form of energy retrofits and other improvements to the pub’s efficiency, waste reduction, etc.
- Port of Seattle Earth Day Fair: Transport yourself (via mass transit, natch) to SeaTac Airport for the Port of Seattle Earth Day Fair to learn more about the environmental efforts of businesses in the area from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.