The place to be if you’re young and you care about the climate: Power Shift ’09
Starting on Oct. 9, the Energy Action Coalition is kicking off 11 Power Shift youth summits across the country, where young people will gather to demand climate action from President Obama and Congress and get training and inspiration for on-the-ground activism. In November 2007 and March 2009, there were big Power Shift confabs in the D.C. area, but these upcoming gatherings are spread all around to get people involved on a local and regional level (and, as it happens, cut down on carbon emissions from long-distance travel). Is there a summit near you?
- Michigan Power Shift, Oct. 9-11, Michigan State University, Lansing, Mich.
- Indiana Power Shift, Oct. 10-11, Carmel, Ind.
- Missouri Power Shift, Oct. 16-18, University of Missouri-St.Louis, St. Louis, Mo.
- Carolinas Power Shift, Oct 17-18, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Northern Plains Power Shift, Oct 23-25, North Dakota State University, Fargo, N.D.
- Ohio Power Shift, Oct 23-25, Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
- Pennsylvania Power Shift, Oct 23-25, Penn State University, State College, Pa.
- Virginia Power Shift, Oct 23-25, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
- Appalachia Power Shift, Oct 23-25, Marshall University, Huntington, W.V.
- Florida Power Shift, Oct 24-25, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
- West Power Shift, Nov 6-8, University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.