“Some roasted turkey, carmelized onions, and fried turkey skin, please — and can I get that in a waffle cone?” Soon you may find yourself wrapping your lips around these perplexing yet sensual words. That’s because Portland ice cream shop Salt & Straw has fixed its local, seasonal gaze on the tastiest November holiday (no offense, Saxophone Day), whipping up five limited-edition ice cream flavors to confuse and beguile you:
- Salted caramel Thanksgiving turkey, which has turkey fat caramel ice cream punctuated with fried turkey skin brittle (but will it put you to sleep?!)
- Mincemeat, which boasts “a heady punch of brandy-soaked fruits with an aggressively spiced ice cream base”
- Apple cranberry stuffing, which incorporates both bread pudding and “locally made celery soda” (wha?!)
- Sweet potato and candied pecans, which sounds almost edible — especially when you get to “Vermont maple-infused marshmallow pillows” (!!!)
- Pumpkin custard and spiced chevre, which had us at “pumpkin cheesecake”
Salt & Straw uses local, all-natural cream in its handmade, small-batch goodness. So even if the flavors make you wanna pucker up, the process is pretty sweet.