Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow want to destroy tomorrow
How self-destructively anti-science are the next generation of conservatives? The New Republic’s Bradford Plumer visited the booths at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in DC and reported this:
The Collegians For a Constructive Tomorrow let passersby hurl eggs at pinup photos of Al Gore and Penn State paleoclimatologist Michael Mann; I saw one girl chuck an egg so vehemently that she has to leap back to avoid the splatter.
Yes, not content with being a small part of the most successful disinformation campaign in human history, CFACT delights in throwing eggs at photos of our Nobel prize-winning former vice president and one of the country’s top climatologists — two much-vindicated climate hawks whose only crime is trying to provide accurate information to the public and policymakers in an effort to preserve a livable climate for the next generation, including the ignorant young woman depicted here.
I saw this item at The Hill and figured somebody over at the CFACT website would have gleefully have tweeted some photo. Sure enough, “CPAC attendees are having a blast egging Al Gore http://t.co/RVhjZnB.” I guess they don’t call it “twitpic” for nothing.
The group is more properly named Collegians For a Destructive Tomorrow because once you ruin a livable climate, you pretty much start to destroy all other living things:
- Nature: “Global warming blamed for 40% decline in the ocean’s phytoplankton”: “Microscopic life crucial to the marine food chain is dying out. The consequences could be catastrophic.”
- Royal Society: “There are very strong indications that the current rate of species extinctions far exceeds anything in the fossil record.”
- Must-read NCAR analysis warns we risk multiple, devastating global droughts even on moderate emissions path.
- Science: Drought drives decade-long decline in plant growth
- Geological Society: Acidifying oceans spell marine biological meltdown “by end of century”